This is where it gets real. This is that Mary and Martha moment where God asks you to look around at your house and accept it as it is.
There is only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it, and it will not be taken away from her.' "
Thats right, the time for "getting things in order" is past and you have to just accept the mess for what it is and be ready to sit with Him, hear His voice, ready to be used. Today we address the O in the living BOLD {with love} for Christ model. Last week we discussed the B- belief. When we know what we believe and we have really dug deep roots for ourselves the rest has a firm foundation to grow on. But sometimes life happens and things get messy!
{this video of my bigg'ins is one of my favorites from when they were little- that is liquid eyeliner on their faces}
I absolutely love watching this video, I remember the curiosity in myself that made me wonder about the giggles coming from the bathroom and prompted me to grab my cell for video proof. I remember the look in both their eyes when they knew they had been caught being a little naughty. I also remember the theatrical argument Reagan put up as she tried to convince me that these obviously couldn't be my children! How funny that she truly believed a little black makeup on her face would change the way I see her; enough to make her unrecognizable to the woman who grew her inside her belly.
But don't we do the same thing with Jesus sometimes? Don't we try and push the blame elsewhere? Don't we hide behind a mask of "black eyeliner" because we think our Heavenly Father will be angry or disappointed with us? Don't we forget that in our fear, or shame.... that we could never fall too far to be unrecognizable to our maker?
So I am going to jump out of the puddle of ooey gooey mommy memories for a minute and dive in to the bible as we talk a bit about David. 1 Samuel Chapter 17 opens by describing in great detail Goliath from Gath; the 9 foot 6 inch man who wears 170+ lbs of armor and makes men run just by talking! Saul the King is terrified of Goliath, he has drifted from the Lord and he feels vulnerable. But, then in verse 26 David (the small boy) says “What will be done for the man who kills this Philistine and removes this disgrace from Israel? Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?” David saw Goliath for what he really was, because he was so close with the Lord He was literally walking with the power and authority of God. Goliath was a bully, a problem, an evil... and he needed to go. (AWESOME) We all know how this story goes (I hope you do. If not please read it!). David didn't have huge muscles, David didn't have cutting edge weapons or super powers. He had 5 stones..... a sling shot....and God on his side. Do you know how many stones David had to use to take down that 9ft 6inch man? 1! He walked away that day with 4 stones left in his pocket and I can't even imagine what the faces of those who doubted around him looked like. God doesn't require much friends, He can use a boy and 1 stone to slay a giant, he can use YOU to slay giants!
The key action here, the one that moves us from belief into living for God is the OFFER. Here is my mess God. Here are my mistakes, my failures, my broken heart, my skinned knees. God life has been tough and I have not used myself the way I should have. But, I am willing to do better. I am willing to set aside my shame and put my heart and life in your hands. God I want you to use me! I want to slay giants, I want to hear your voice, I want to leave an impression that resonates so deeply with others that they hunger for more of you. Accept your mess, lay it down, take your stones.... and listen! Be prepared, because I promise that once that offer is made God is going to move. He has been waiting patiently for you to realize your strength friend, and we need all the warriors we can get in the Tribe of The Living God! Slaying Goliath for most of us probably looks more like; kicking that bad habit you have been promising you would, letting go of emotions that are affecting you ability to love, trust, or relate to others the way you wish you could. Healing can absolutely be a Goliath. Whatever that mountain in your life is, or 9ft monster.... God wants to help you get it out of the way so you can move on to greater things. Welcome to the tribe.
{this video of my bigg'ins is one of my favorites from when they were little- that is liquid eyeliner on their faces}
I absolutely love watching this video, I remember the curiosity in myself that made me wonder about the giggles coming from the bathroom and prompted me to grab my cell for video proof. I remember the look in both their eyes when they knew they had been caught being a little naughty. I also remember the theatrical argument Reagan put up as she tried to convince me that these obviously couldn't be my children! How funny that she truly believed a little black makeup on her face would change the way I see her; enough to make her unrecognizable to the woman who grew her inside her belly.
But don't we do the same thing with Jesus sometimes? Don't we try and push the blame elsewhere? Don't we hide behind a mask of "black eyeliner" because we think our Heavenly Father will be angry or disappointed with us? Don't we forget that in our fear, or shame.... that we could never fall too far to be unrecognizable to our maker?
So I am going to jump out of the puddle of ooey gooey mommy memories for a minute and dive in to the bible as we talk a bit about David. 1 Samuel Chapter 17 opens by describing in great detail Goliath from Gath; the 9 foot 6 inch man who wears 170+ lbs of armor and makes men run just by talking! Saul the King is terrified of Goliath, he has drifted from the Lord and he feels vulnerable. But, then in verse 26 David (the small boy) says “What will be done for the man who kills this Philistine and removes this disgrace from Israel? Who is this uncircumcised Philistine that he should defy the armies of the living God?” David saw Goliath for what he really was, because he was so close with the Lord He was literally walking with the power and authority of God. Goliath was a bully, a problem, an evil... and he needed to go. (AWESOME) We all know how this story goes (I hope you do. If not please read it!). David didn't have huge muscles, David didn't have cutting edge weapons or super powers. He had 5 stones..... a sling shot....and God on his side. Do you know how many stones David had to use to take down that 9ft 6inch man? 1! He walked away that day with 4 stones left in his pocket and I can't even imagine what the faces of those who doubted around him looked like. God doesn't require much friends, He can use a boy and 1 stone to slay a giant, he can use YOU to slay giants!
The key action here, the one that moves us from belief into living for God is the OFFER. Here is my mess God. Here are my mistakes, my failures, my broken heart, my skinned knees. God life has been tough and I have not used myself the way I should have. But, I am willing to do better. I am willing to set aside my shame and put my heart and life in your hands. God I want you to use me! I want to slay giants, I want to hear your voice, I want to leave an impression that resonates so deeply with others that they hunger for more of you. Accept your mess, lay it down, take your stones.... and listen! Be prepared, because I promise that once that offer is made God is going to move. He has been waiting patiently for you to realize your strength friend, and we need all the warriors we can get in the Tribe of The Living God! Slaying Goliath for most of us probably looks more like; kicking that bad habit you have been promising you would, letting go of emotions that are affecting you ability to love, trust, or relate to others the way you wish you could. Healing can absolutely be a Goliath. Whatever that mountain in your life is, or 9ft monster.... God wants to help you get it out of the way so you can move on to greater things. Welcome to the tribe.


No comments:
Post a Comment