How do you fight when your kids are acting a fool? What do you do when your home feels like it is stuck in unrest, and arguing?
I've had several days in the last few weeks where I wanted to throw in the towel and "quit" because Momming is a tough gig sometimes and I'm reaching the point in our deployment where I'm just emotionally spent. Yesterday in particular almost broke me because every single kiddo had a different "thing" they did or struggled with that demanded my disciplining skill set. As I went to bed last night I determined that today was going to be "pray over the house" day. I started my morning with coffee and the Bible, got the kids off to school, came home while listening to one of my favorite Christian podcasts... and then I laid out my weapons.
In today's podcast on Risen Motherhood they actually talked about the flamingo. Which made me immediately think of Reagan because Flamingos have always been her "thang". They talked about how Flamingos who have just become parents are often pink, and their babies are born gray. However, in the first few months of life the parents actually fade to a grayish color as their baby turns pink! Why is that?? Because the parents are sacrificing nutrients and self care they would normally prioritize, for the sake of nourishing and caring for their new offspring. Through this sacrifice, the little flamingo learns not only how to thrive on its own, but how to care for others. What!? As Judah would say "That's a fun fact".
I joked last week with a friend that I sometimes feel like I used to stereotypical, bubbly, pink Barbie. Motherhood has drained me and now I'm Weird Barbie. It never dawned on me that this was actually by design and mimics what happens in nature, like what we see with the Flamingos. By sacrificing for my kids and letting them witness how I juggle and struggle... I'm teaching them. They are seeing first hand how important having a whole family together is, and what impact having Dad gone has. We are learning each day how to work better as a unit because we all have to lean on each other to make it work. They are also seeing on days like yesterday how not working together makes it all fall apart. 😅 so what did I do when the house seemingly fell in on me yesterday? I stood up and decided to pray over those walls and take refuge in the Lord. I hope that in my struggles my children are always reminded that God is the answer. No matter the problem, they can always turn to Him. I also hope they see a Mom who fights, not by raising her hand to them.... but by raising prayers and praise. I want to lovingly hold them accountable to boundaries we hold to be important, while showing them how to correct course and place God back in the center. Today, I fought these battles by setting time aside to lay it God's feet. Every door frame, every bed, every room in this house is now soaking in prayer and you can feel the peace that has returned. Bestie, please don't ever forget the power of prayer and what your words can do.


No comments:
Post a Comment