November is HERE and just like that 2016 is making her grand exit and the holidays are about to barf on every isle of every store. But I like to keep it real, and really Thanksgiving is a season of thankfulness as we prepare our hearts for the magic of Advent. Over the next few weeks I'd like to help you busy mama's connect each day with a few of God's words that will encourage you, as my way of saying I'm THANKFUL for you. I am thankful that you are part of my tribe. I'm thankful that you are working hard, loving your kids, & still seeking God in the midst of the crazy. I promise to keep it short and sweet, just like a good Cuban coffee.
Today I would like to focus on Matthew 9:27-30 (full text at end of post if your bible isn't handy)
Becoming what you believe. This passage tells us the story of two blind men who follow Jesus home in hopes of pleading their case for healing. Jesus turns to them and asks "do you truly believe I can do these things? "They emphatically reply "yes Lord". Then Jesus laid his hands on their eyes and said "According to your faith let it be done to you." The Message translation says " You have become what you believed".
I am going to take a modern mommy play on this and say how many times a day do you "fake it till you make it" ? I usually don't have it all together. There is at least one stain on my shirt before I even leave the house for the day and most days I do not even try and hide it, albeit coffee, spit up, or rogue oatmeal. I am probably pretty tired from a night of nursing and from staying up later than I should have because I crave those quiet moments of non cartoon television and a hot cup of tea when all three babes are sleeping! Anyways, it's in those moments of morning rush that I sometimes lose the "us" in the middle. I have to step back and choose to set a tone for the day even if I have to fake it to make it! I turn on the smile, I switch up my tone with the kids and become that cheerleader who still lives inside me. I remind my kiddos that their emotions are a choice too, and each day we can choose to make it a great day or we can choose a sour day based on which emotion we let take the stage. This isn't just applicable for morning rush, this is modeling a lesson they will carry with them for life. It is the core of "becoming what you believe" and it is a elementary school child's practical introduction to Big Faith. That BIG Faith that will someday move "mountains" in their lives, heal their "blindness", and give them the strength to walk when they are "lame". So how can we better show our children examples of becoming what we believe? I challenge you this week to find one moment where you can flip that switch and rejoice in the chaos. Believe that you are creating a lasting legacy with your kids through your example of BIG Faith in little ways.
28 When he had gone indoors, the blind men came to him, and he asked them, “Do you believe that I am able to do this?”
“Yes, Lord,” they replied.
29 Then he touched their eyes and said, “According to your faith let it be done to you”; 30 and their sight was restored.


No comments:
Post a Comment