So, I was brainstorming last night about the ways in which I want to thematically link all my devotional posts while still giving the Holy Spirit room to talk. I do not what this blog series to be as sporadic as my 3 year olds mood swings, but I also know that any Christian writer worth their title gives all works and credit to the Divine Author. I prayed a bit and I did a little research. Then, I found this great article on The 3 Levels of Gratitude where they explain gratitude as this-
Thanksgiving Gratitude – This is when someone thinks about being grateful when they are reminded to do so, such as at Thanksgiving. Generally, individuals that are at this level only think about the gratitude for the very basic of things such as family, friends, job/business, car/home, pets and their chosen higher power. Beyond this basic list, they struggle to think of additional things for which to be grateful
Positive Gratitude – At this level, an individual is likely to feel and express gratitude on a regular, consistent basis -maybe even daily. They are able to see gratitude in a larger range of things such as a sunny day, a new opportunity, a hug or smile. The Positive Gratituders are more observant and recognize all the good things that they have in their lives.
Positive Gratituders don’t need to be reminded to be grateful but generally do so consciously.
Higher Gratitude – Once a person reaches this level, they are able to be grateful for EVERYTHING in their lives. This level requires a person to be able to appreciate both the good and the perceived bad in any and every situation. A person at Higher Gratitude can be grateful for job loss, divorce, even loss of a loved one. Being able to connect with and see the aspects of any situation that one could be grateful for is what leads one to achieve Higher Gratitude.
This level of gratitude finds one feeling and expressing their gratitude from an almost subconscious place. It is a natural and normal part of who they are.
So with that little bite to chew on, lets spend a few days diving in to practical ways to move from "Thanksgiving Gratitude" to "Positive Gratitude". If you are anything like me, it is really easy to commit to things at first. I love to volunteer and lend a hand when it is needed. But as time goes on, and life stuff happens I get bogged down by the things I have committed to. Sound familiar? Sometimes it is really hard to muster that daily "I am thankful day 12 of 27......" post for Facebook. Sometimes you want to drink the wine instead of cooking with it, shhh there is no judgment here. So, let's see what the bible says about gratitude;
"And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him." Colossians 3:17
Now lets break down those three levels really quickly. Level One- I like to think of as the Facebook level. Where our gratefulness is more surface level because we know we should be thankful. #soblessed, #youaremorethanastereotype #GodcravesmoreofyouthanwhatyoushowyourFBfriends Ok, forgive the hashtag pun, but there is a lot of truth in that last bit. What we show people on FB, Instagram, or via snapchat filter is exactly that, a FILTERED version of our real, messy, not very "pretty" lives. #2 Positive Gratitude is the heart switch between, I am grateful because I know I am blessed and "I am grateful because I realize every good and perfect thing in my life is a gift from above." The act of not just appreciating what we have been given, but stopping to praise the one who gave it to us.
Now, there are very few people I have ever known in my life who reach a level of gratitude like #3. Higher Gratitude is what I think of when I think of Paul and his praise to God despite his deplorable circumstances. Job is another bible hero of faith who comes to mind. My reality is that I am at a place in my life now where I can look at the bad and appreciate the lessons I learned and the path those ugly parts of life put me on, because they built me the foundation for the life I have now. I am grateful for the times I was pushed to my limits and I came out smiling, because my faith grew by miles in those dark times.
But, I also think we kind of live somewhere in this middle ground that is not mentioned in the article and I would like to call that land "Perspective Gratitude" that is the gratitude that comes with the wisdom of mistakes and hard lessons. Where we learn to truly appreciate the awesome fully encompassing love of Jesus because we know what it is like to be unlovable. There really is much wisdom that comes with age. So, what would life look like if "In Word, In Deed, Whatever you do, (you did) everything in the name of Jesus, giving thanks to Him"?? Would it be a little easier to forgive that hurt you are holding on to? Would it be a little easier to appreciate the beautiful blessings of your life, even if they left sticky fingerprints all over your clean house today? Would it be simpler to make choices because you know you need to choose the option that Glorifies God, over what seems tempting or "easy"? How do you think you model gratitude for you children? Do they hear you give thanks in the tough times or do they hear angry frustrated sighs because we lost our perspective? Food for thought as we dig our toes into gratitude and how our heart's focus affects the way our eyes view the world around us.
And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Colossians 3:15



No comments:
Post a Comment