Tuesday, November 15, 2016

R.E.S.T.

 Exodus 33:14 The LORD replied, “My Presence will go with you, and I will give you rest"

First of all thank you all for being patient and loving as I have taken a few down days! I think we can all agree that when one child is sick it is hard, but in the course of the last week we have had 3 different doctors appointments, one ER visit, several trips to the pharmacy and countless applications of vicks or oils! I really wish someone would invent IV coffee, hook me up Scotty.
But in all seriousness, this year has been killer for us as far as the icky viral things go, moving as often as we do it is always a fresh batch of new germs every cold season and if your counter looks anything like this today, GIRL- I am so there with ya!
May the bleach flow freely, the tissues keep-a-coming, and the coffee stay hot. All three of my sweet babies coughed in choreographed unison this morning and in perfect syncopated tone too! Bless their little hearts. I can say that we were told we are no longer contagious so the house arrest has been lifted. But, I can't shake the fear that animal control will pull over my swagger wagon because it sounds like I am transporting 3 baby seals in the backseat. And if Croup wasn't hard enough poor baby Judah's two front teeth chose this week to join the party! He has been one soggy, sad, mess.  As I struggle to give around the clock meds and keep dosing straight I wanted to share one simple and effective hack, add a sticker to the bottom of everyone's medicine cup so there is no extra germ sharing.
In the wee morning hours when my eyes aren't even sure if they are open yet, being able to look down at the cups and easily tell who's is who's is much easier with stickers. You might be wondering how am I remembering to give thanks in the midst of my sleep deprivation and crabby baby meltdowns? Heck, I am wondering it somedays. That is honesty- honestly, some of these past few days I don't feel very thankful, or very happy.... I just long for those days when adult naps were still a thing or I day dream about inventing bubble suits that keep crazy viral things from tearing apart the peace and sanity of my home. But in my heart I know better, I know that this is a season and that the icky hard seasons make us stronger and more grateful when the germs have gone. So I REST- Remember in Every Season to be Thankful, I give thanks and I wait as patiently as a zombie mom can, for that sweet bliss of a full nights rest awaiting our family on the other end of this cold. If God hasn't opened a door you praise Him in the hallway, and when healing hasn't come yet, we praise Him from the bed/couch/doctors office.

Today I gave God thanks for 4 days of fever free kids, for modern medicine, for herbal teas, for deep hugs and kids who still think they "need" me. Boy do I know that someday soon they won't think they need me at all! I am grateful that healing is closer today than it was yesterday. I know God is with me in the rocking chair at 1am when the baby is crying and just wants to be held. I feel God holding me as I hold a little boy who is coughing too hard to sleep, assuring him that he will be better in time. I am so thankful my kids have each other; while having 3 sick kids is not easy, watching those sick kid love on each other, hand each other tissues, and cover each other in blankets has just melted my soul. They are good kids, good, sick, sweet, sticky kids! There is a lot to be thankful for.





No comments:

Post a Comment